On January 31st we had the wonderful opportunity to attend an event called "An Evening Dedicated to HOPE: Higlighting Orphan Care Ministry in Central Asia." Kyrgyzstan is a central asian country and it was the focus of the evening. Since bringing Matthew home, we have a very special place in our hearts for his birth country and we were so excited to spend this day meeting others who have a burden for Kyrgyzstan. We were priveleged to meet two missionary couples as well as ministry founders all targeting Kyrgyzstan. And we also had a very special privelege to meet 2 other Kyrgyz-adoptive families. I've posted a number of photos below that don't adequately describe this wonderful day, but they're the best I can do. Enjoy!

David and Jayne Schooler so kindly invited us all to their house and hosted a luncheon for 40+ people! The food and fellowship were wonderful! Cain and Kim (right, front) brought Andrew and their girls, Alisha and Megan. Also, I got to talk with Dr. Andrew Wiseman (left, front) a Spanish prof at Cedarville University for several minutes, catching up on what is happening at "the ville" these days - especially within my old major. He is married to Sevara who is from Uzbekastan. Their precious little daughter, Jasmine, is just over a year old and learning to communicate in at least 4 languages due to her parents' diverse backgrounds! (That just warms my language teacher heart!)

This is missionary to Kyrgyzstan, David Schooler, holding Matthew and Andrew. I can't say enough about the hospitality of David and Jayne! Not only did they welcome us (complete strangers) to their home with open arms, they even gave each adoptive family a book called, "Thriving as an adoptive family" which is put out by Focus on the Family! (I just read the book's "Acknowledgements" and saw that Jayne wrote one of the bonus chapters called "Your Child's Life Story" which can be found on-line at...
http://www.icareaboutorphans.org/ I look forward to reading it!) Jayne excitedly shared with me how God has recently called she and her husband to Kyrgyzstan. They are learning to speak Russian and they are anticipating all that God will do through them in this new adventure. (I also found out that Jayne is a Cedarville grad!) You can read more about the Schoolers on their blog
http://www.dandjschooler.blogspot.com/
This shows a small section of the group that gathered in the Schooler's home for lunch - wish I had a photo that had everyone in it!

Tim and I really enjoyed our conversation with Rick and Jane Taylor. They are missionaries to Kenya and have given their whole lives to Africa. Rick was in a very tragic car accident on the field and it is only through God's miraculous healing that his is walking today. Tim told me later that he wished he could've talked more with Rick. Not only was he enjoying hearing of their previous work in Kenya, but also about their future goals which involve a technical institute. (right up Tim's alley!) Although Rick and Jane didn't have a direct connection to Kyrgyzstan, Jane had graciously put together all of the food for the luncheon to lighten Jayne Schooler's hostess load.

We got all the kids together for a photo shoot. From left to right are... Hilary and her daughter Anara (adopted from Kyrgyzstan), Andrew (adopted from Kyrgystan), Jasmine (Uzbek-american), Megan (Andrew's big sis), never found out this girls' name (oops!), Sophia (her mom was raised in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, but they now live in Ohio), and Matthew (adopted from Kyrgyzstan). I don't have a photo of it, but Sophia was hugging Matthew so tightely that I thought his head may pop off right after the taking of this photo! :)

This is Sophia with her mom, Tayana, who grew up in Bishkek. Tayana is one of Jayne Schooler's Russian tutors. Amazingly enough both live in the same Ohio town now! Only God can work details like these out for His glory!

The adoptive dads (Tim, Tim, and Cain) got their laptops out to exchange orphanage photos.

Hilary (above with Matthew and Anara) and Tim (one of the laptop guys above) Marquis are the proud parents of 4 kids, the youngest of which is Anara. Both Matthew (born in May 2007) and Anara (born in July 2007) were roommates in the same orphanage in Kyrgyzstan! Words can't describe how I felt when Hilary handed me a little white envelope containing orphanage photos of Matthew that I had never seen before. I didn't know whether I was going to cry or laugh!! That was such a special moment. I thank God that we've been able to meet this very sweet couple and for the common history that our two Kyrgyz kiddos share. Tim and Hilary graciously shared orphanage photos and even their videos of their trip to Kyrgyzstan. We now have a great photo of Matthew's old bedroom and some excellent footage of the orphanage where he spent his first 14 months.

Everybody loves those Kyrgyz cheeks!!

Thank goodness that Andrew was there!! Matthew, although quite extroverted, doesn't warm up to everyone very quickly. But he just loves Andrew to pieces. When Matthew was given 2 cookies from the dessert table, he knew just who he'd share the second with - Andrew! Andrew's sister, Megan, laughed, "Look at this! They're already working together (to get dessert)!!" The day was a little hard on Matthew. I haven't blogged about this yet, but we have been potty training lately (post to come, I'm sure). We went to this event after just beginning "potty mania" and upon arrival at the Schooler's home Matthew had a blowout in his pullup! He obviously wasn't feeling well, because this continued throughout the afternoon! Thank goodness that we packed extras of everything. He ended up back in diapers, but we were able to resume potty training in the following days. His stomach discomfort combined with the complete overload of people and new environment turned him into quite the busy boy. Tim and I enjoyed the brief conversations we had with people, but spent a good majority of the time chasing Matthew as he would run by with Rick's cane or a dustpan he had pulled out of a cupboard!!! (how embarassing!) Despite how he must have been feeling, he managed to make it a good time for himself! :)

Matthew sat still playing with Andrew ... for at least a few minutes!

Alisha (Andrew's big sister), Nicole, and Ann. Nicole (from California) and Ann (from Pennsylvania) are "adoptive moms in waiting." It was joyful and heart wrenching to look at the photos of their precious little ones who are still in their orphanages while government restruction has shut down Kyrgyz adoptions temporarily. Nicole and her husband are adopting a little boy named Marat, and Anne is adopting a little girl. Please pray for them as they await the invitation to travel and bring their precious one's home. I can't write all the details down here, but God knows. Please lift these two "moms in waiting" up to God in prayer during this difficult, helpless time. Please pray for the health of their little ones as they wait to come home. It can be so discouraging to think that that men and government are delaying this reunion as they restructure, but we know that God is ultimately in control. Although we feel so helpless, He is working out his perfect plan in perfect time.

John and Julie Wright are missionaries to Kyrgyzstan. They are Canadian and they, along with their two daughters, are looking forward to returning to work in the coming months. You can read more about them, the needs that they are trying to meet as they work, and some great photos of people and needs in Kyrgyzstan on their blog...
http://actofkindness.blogspot.com/
When we went to the evening event we met up with another adoptive family. Scott and Cami with their Kyrgyz son, Kaleb. Kaleb is almost two and bears a striking resemblance to Matthew! (Infact, as we left the building later that evening Tim and I spoke to an Uzbek man who grew up in Kyrgyzstan. He confirmed that both Matthew and Kaleb are definitely "Kyrgyz boys" - he said the look is unmistakeble!) From left to right, all Kyrgyz cuties... Kaleb, Anara, Matthew, and Andrew (with big sis, Megan). Scott and Kami are also caught in the waiting game as they wait to travel & bring home their second Kyrgyz-adoptive son when permission is given. They have been waiting a long time and have been watching their son growing up in photos. They long to bring him home, and would appreciate your prayers as well.

Lynne & Ruby Johnston are the founders of LAMb International which is the sending organization for David and Jayne Schooler. LAMb is focussed on meeting social as well as spiritual needs. You can read about them at their blog ...
http://lambinternational.blogspot.com/ 
David and Jayne Schooler addressing the packed house.

Andrew's big sister, Alisha, made a great connection with the Wright's daughters, Bekah and Emma. Both girls long to go back to Kyrgyzstan. I enjoyed talking with Bekah and Emma as well. They told me of some interesting Kyrgyz traditions and experiences they've had.

The night ended with a line up of Kyrgyz-adoptive moms and our little Kyrgyz wonders. From left to right... Kim & Matthew, Hilary & Anara, Kami & Kaleb, Kim & Andrew. It was an unforgettable night!!
2 comments:
You did a great job capturing the day with pictures and your wonderful words. I was there, so it was easy to follow your story, but it was an unbelievable day that I will always remember. There were so many connections to Kyrgyzstan that day, in so many different ways, and I don't know if that will ever happen again. I'm glad that I got to experience the day with you guys.
Kim
It was an incredible weekend! I am so blessed to have met you all. And what a joy to see Matthew again in the arms of his mommy and daddy :)
Post a Comment