We’ve been wanting to announce this officially on our blog for a long time, but things have just been nuts and I haven’t had time to put together a post that would do it justice. Well, in case you haven’t heard the news… I’M PREGNANT!!! We believe it’s is such an amazing story of God’s perfect timing and His faithfulness (even amidst my doubts). I typed the whole story out in an email to a friend, so rather than rewrite it all, I’ll just copy it. Here goes…
(Ultrasound from 10wks - Mar. 17th! We could see a heat beating strong, precious little arms waving and legs kicking! So amazing!!)
(What a wonderful big brother Matthew will be!! Of course, he may have to share his trains one day, and that WILL be hard!)
Ok, getting back to the decision… We could see so many positive aspects to either option (like being able to save up and pay for another adoption OR having these precious days at home with Matthew, etc.), which made it very confusing as to what we should do. For months and months we discussed and we prayed about it. Quite honestly, I confessed to Tim that if we would just get pregnant, we’d know what to decide, but I doubted God would make this decision easy for us. I could say so much more about the agonizing we did over this decision and some of the reasons on both sides, but I’ll spare you the long story here. In short, God answered our big question in the form of a little plus sign.
On February 5th, I was quite surprised – shocked even – to find out that I’m pregnant! We then were able to make the decision we had always hoped for – for me to stay home for this “season” of life. I know that within this decision is packaged a whole lot of sacrifice, which is hard for me sometimes. There is much I will miss about my job – everything from the joy of seeing my students have fun communicating in Spanish to volleyball to relationships with co-workers, students, and players. But I’m also excited to have this opportunity to be home and will trust God with how, when, where and if I’m to work in the future. So that is the story in a nutshell!
(Just a few of my very fine fellow teachers and me on a field trip to DC with our wonderful students!)
(One of my super tough, championship volleyball teams!)
OK, so where to start? Most of you know that I’ve been home for 2 yrs on “leave of parental responsibility” with Matthew. We were dreading March 15th this year b/c that is when we had to notify my school district as to whether I would be resigning or returning to full time work next fall. Tim and I had always hoped and planned for me to be able to stay home with young kids. And since kids weren’t coming to us the way we thought they would originally the decision seemed more complicated. Throughout these past 5 ½ years we’ve struggled with the “unexplained infertility” diagnosis and the one mysterious miscarriage (It may not be as intense as what other’s have had to struggle with, but it has been a painful reality in our life nonetheless.), but through it we maintain and believe with all of our hearts that God has a plan for all of it. How could I ever look into Matthew’s big brown eyes and not thank God for His plan and the joy He has given us through Matthew? I am certain that we would not have chosen to go half way around the world to adopt a child if we had been able to have kids the “old-fashioned way” off the bat. (I had always liked the idea of adoption and thought maybe it was something we could do as a family “one day” when our kids were older or something, but wouldn’t have picked it first on my own). So I look at how our hearts changed and how blessed we have been by adoption, and I know that I can trust God even when things are painful or don’t seem to make sense.
Ok, getting back to the decision… We could see so many positive aspects to either option (like being able to save up and pay for another adoption OR having these precious days at home with Matthew, etc.), which made it very confusing as to what we should do. For months and months we discussed and we prayed about it. Quite honestly, I confessed to Tim that if we would just get pregnant, we’d know what to decide, but I doubted God would make this decision easy for us. I could say so much more about the agonizing we did over this decision and some of the reasons on both sides, but I’ll spare you the long story here. In short, God answered our big question in the form of a little plus sign.
On February 5th, I was quite surprised – shocked even – to find out that I’m pregnant! We then were able to make the decision we had always hoped for – for me to stay home for this “season” of life. I know that within this decision is packaged a whole lot of sacrifice, which is hard for me sometimes. There is much I will miss about my job – everything from the joy of seeing my students have fun communicating in Spanish to volleyball to relationships with co-workers, students, and players. But I’m also excited to have this opportunity to be home and will trust God with how, when, where and if I’m to work in the future. So that is the story in a nutshell!
As for the pregnancy: We got pregnant naturally – and I am 18 weeks along (as of 5/12). My due date is Oct. 13th. Over the last two weeks I’ve been feeling some “fluttering” when I sit still and pay attention – how exciting! (Actually, it feels like there’s a goldfish swimming around inside of me! I laughed when someone told me that later it’ll feel like a WHALE inside!) We are going to wait and be surprised with the gender. In answer to the “how are you feeling?” question… I was queasy and nauseated for about 3 weeks straight and then “here and there,” but thankfully never threw up. (I can’t afford to lose a pound!!) I’ve definitely been very tired, but that is improving now. (I’m loving the energy I have again in the 2nd trimester) I’ve gained almost 10 lbs and have a little “belly.” Woohoo!
If you read our blog regularily, you might remember that I said there was more to our Easter celebration than what I was able to post about at the time. We'll never forget this moment as long as we live... Here is a short video clip of a "cardboard testimony" we shared at church on Easter Sunday – to God be the glory! I totally view Matthew and this baby as answers to our prayers and the prayers of so many others.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t extremely anxious during the first trimester and even sometimes now, but I know God has a plan either way so I’m trying not to be so terrified about something that is really such good news! I know when I’ve told a few people, that my fear (of losing this baby) took center stage and that’s the last thing I want – GOD needs to be center stage! This is His miraculous answer to our prayers, and He deserves my praise always. Our family is growing... we have one in heaven, one from Kyrgyzstan, and one we hope to hold in our arms in October! God is so good! Thanks for sharing in this journey with us! God bless! -Kim
I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t extremely anxious during the first trimester and even sometimes now, but I know God has a plan either way so I’m trying not to be so terrified about something that is really such good news! I know when I’ve told a few people, that my fear (of losing this baby) took center stage and that’s the last thing I want – GOD needs to be center stage! This is His miraculous answer to our prayers, and He deserves my praise always. Our family is growing... we have one in heaven, one from Kyrgyzstan, and one we hope to hold in our arms in October! God is so good! Thanks for sharing in this journey with us! God bless! -Kim
6 comments:
Again, tears. I am so excited for you, Tim, Matthew, and your families! To God be all the glory. Can't wait to see you!
I loved the video from your church! What a great thing to show the baby one day! As I have already said, I'm so happy for you both, and what a great God we serve!
Love,
Kim
Hi Kim,
Am not sure if you have ever heard of me but am Tim's cousin. Just wanted to send my congrats to you and Tim. Very exciting to have another Lehr in the world! I will keep you in my daily prayers.
Sarah Lehr
I am in tears! I walked that road, and I know the joy and the fears. But, God is GOOD! I thank God for Matthew's adoption and I am praising Him for the newest miracle that is to come. Motherhood is amazing no matter how it comes to be. Congratulations to all three of you!
I'm still soooo excited!! The sonogram pics are wonderful, it's so amazing how detailed a view we can get on life before birth now!!
NaNa and PopPop are very excited about this new little Lehr!
Matthew, you are going to be the best big brother!
Love U All,
NaNa and PopPOp
Post a Comment