Thursday, September 24, 2009

Baby Update! 36 wk ultrasound pics!

Well, as excited as I am about it all, somtimes when I log on to our blog and see the countdown to baby's due date, it just freaks me out! Only 19 days from today! Wow!! Last week, we had our 36 week ultrasound and learned two major things: baby is BIG and BREECH! The estimated current weight of the baby (7lbs., 5oz.) seems like a nice birth weight to me ... not a weight for a baby that has 4 more weeks to go! They said the baby's overall size is 83rd percentile, and the head is almost off the charts at 95th percentile! This is so foreign to us after Matthew who hangs out more at the other end of the spectrum! (I weighed somewhere in the 5lb.-range at birth. Tim was a large baby, weighing in at 10lbs., 4oz. and there are some good-sized heads in the family. If they're even somewhat accurate with their current measurements, we may be having a Tim-sized kiddo! Yikes!) Either way, I'm so grateful that the baby is seeming quite healthy!

As far as the breech presentation goes... After an examination during week 34, we learned the baby was head down and unlikely to turn from that point on. I was so excited! Then, I woke up one morning during week 35 and said, "Tim, something feels totally different. I think that baby flipped over on me..." Wouldn't you know it, we found out a few days later that our precious little one did! At this point, we do have a c-section date scheduled, just in case the baby does not turn back over, and we'll get at least one more looksy (checking on the baby's position)on an ultrasound next week.

I'm praying that the baby does flip and we can try this whole childbirth thing the natural way. However, I have peace about the c-section if that is what must happen ... especially when I think of that head size (ouch!). :) I am DEFINITELY praying not to have to do BOTH labor (only to find the baby doesn't fit the exit) and then have to have a C-section. The beauty of it all is that God knows exactly how it will go, and we can trust Him with every detail.

Here are some pictures of the little (or maybe not-so-little) one... We had some trouble getting clear 4d face shots, b/c the baby had hand and foot up by his/her face. Oh well! :) Enjoy!




6 comments:

meg anthony said...

I will just say...take the C-section. I delivered Jackson breech (naturally) after drugs wore off and it was NOT fun or pretty! Trust me! Good luck!

The Lehrs said...

You did?! I never knew that! Yes, that does sound painful; I do have peace about the C-section if that's what we have to do. Time will tell... :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see that little one! I'll pray that everything goes smoothly and that you feel complete peace about the way things go!

Stahnke said...

Can't wait!!!!!!! My sister in law had that problem with my nephews head being to big after over 24 hours of labor, and she ended up having a C-Section, so who knows maybe God may be sparing you from the whole thing. I'll pray for an easy delivery no matter how little Lehr comes into the world.

Hilary Marquis said...

The only thing that matters is this little sweetie coming into the world safely. My sis-in-law just had her first baby...9lbs. 10oz! She's a tiny gal and it was rough, but she did it :) We'll be praying for you guys! I wish I lived closer...I'd come be a doula for you!

Renee said...

I know you want to do your birth your way, but a c-section isn't that bad. Mine was an emergency, but I can see that if I took that aspect out of it, it was quite OK. If it makes you feel better, they say that the babies are cuter because they're not all squished up from the birth canal. Calvin was certainly a handsome little guy! ;)
I can't wait to hear all about it! I'm so excited for you!