Monday, September 13, 2010

TABT 2010

This year was the 10 year anniversary of The Annual Backpacking Trip. Every year I get together with my brother and some friends from Cedarville; we spend a long weekend in the mountains doing some backpacking and doing dumb things that guys do.
(Below: the 10th anniversary crew)

A few years ago, I started letting the guys know that I wanted the 10th year of the trip to be something on a little grander scale than our typcial trip to Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. So we headed to Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. We didn't log the same number of trail miles this year, but rather hiked in about 7 miles to a campsite a short distance from Lawn Lake and set up a base camp where we could day hike a couple of the 13,000 ft peaks and doing some fishing and relaxing. Some did more relaxing than others, but hey, you just can't beat laying in a hammock strung between two trees next to mountain stream, far from the normal busy life. I have a hard time relaxing when there are mountains to be climbed. All I want to do is get to the top and take in the beauty of what God has created. We truly have an awesome Creator. Enjoy the pics and vids.

Our time was spent in the Mummy Range near Lawn Lake.

Shortly after arriving at camp, Barry and I had a nice encounter with an elk.



Lawn Lake and Fairchild Mountain in the background.

That puddle near our feet is Big Crystal Lake. About a 1500 ft drop from where we stand.


Looks safe enough.

Let's get a little more perspective.

The backside looks a lot like the front.


The Saddle.


View from the summit of Mummy Mountain.




No comments: