As I think about how thankful I am for the many ways our family has helped us through the busy and demanding days of bringing a newborn home, a great place to start is with my mother-in-law. On the day Jacob was scheduled to be delivered by c-section, November 4th, Tim lost a wonderful uncle. This was very sad time for the whole Lehr family. Both during the final weeks of Uncle Dave's fight with cancer and for his funeral, Tim's parents were able to stay with us on their way to visit and pay respects. But even with all of these important events and Mom's regular responsibilities in her home area, she took the time to stay with us for the better part of a week. She brought her pressure cooker and helped Tim can his first bit of venison, she held babies, changed diapers, did dishes, folded laundry, took our first family photos with Jacob, and many other helpful tasks. I am so grateful for the helpful spirit God has given her and for the wisdom she imparts during time spent together. When it comes to in-laws, I have the best, I'm sure. I am so grateful them and the many ways they build into our family.
We were also blessed to spend and evening with my brother and his family celebrating the arrival of Jacob. Dave and Callie brought over a delicious homemade meal (with enough for leftovers!) and this cute cake (which accidentally got stepped on in their van while it was still in the bakery box ... oh well! It was still delicious.), not to mention gifts. It was really nice for the kids to be able to play and for Jacob to meet his aunt, uncle, & cousins for the first time.
On the way home from an appointment with the doctor, my mom and I stopped in to see my grandpa. He came to visit me in the hospital, but did not make a second trip out after I had the baby. This is a picture of his first time meeting and holding Jacob. Whenever he is holding Jacob and I come to get him, grandpa tells me that I can't have him back. Grandpa just loves holding his great-grandsons, especially when they are babies. Seeing him delight in my little guys blesses my heart more than words can say.
My Dad finally held Jake for the first time when Dad stopped by one evening, and later, Jacob had his first photo shoot with Grandma & Grandpa.
We all made a trip back to grandpa's place to celebrate his 94th birthday! At first he wanted nothing to do with my silly party hats stating that his birthday was nothing. However after our Chinese food take-out lunch (his favorite), he was in a better mood. He put on the hat and began stopping everyone who passed by to tell them it was his birthday.
So that my sons could get a perspective on how wonderful it is to celebrate grandpa's birthday I brought along a bag of M&Ms for grandpa and the boys. Each person was allowed to have as many M&Ms as they were years old. Matthew was really excited about his five M&Ms as compared to Nathan's two. Then you should've seen his eyes pop when we counted out grandpa's NINETY-FOUR M&Ms! Now that's something to celebrate! We had a great afternoon celebrating a great guy, no doubt about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment