Friday, October 31, 2008

"Trick or Treat!"

As kids, both Tim and I enjoyed "trick or treating" on Halloween. We didn't do anything with Matthew last year - on his first Halloween with us. This year when I found an irresistible little costume for only $7 at a resale shop, I knew we'd have to let him give it a try. Matthew will be officially 2 1/2 in a few days, and he surprises me daily with how quickly he catches on to things. Matthew was not so fond of his Halloween costume (especially the hood) before this, but tonight when we looked out his window and saw a little fireman and a pirate across the street he wanted to dress up too. We took Matthew around to about 10 houses right near ours, and he totally knew what was happening after the first house. (Tim and I just couldn't believe it!!) He was just shrieking with joy as he clutched his pumpkin-shaped bucket and ran to the next house. He would come running and hopping back to Tim (and Beau) saying, "Two! Two!!" if someone gave him two pieces of candy. I couldn't quite get him to say "Trick or Treat" but he did a great job of saying "Dane-You" to everyone after they gave him a treat. (His version of "thank you.") As we pulled him around in the wagon he enjoyed seeing all the kids in their costumes and, of course, peering down frequently into his bucket full of candy!! We also carved a pumpkin today. He enjoyed helping with that process, but wasn't really interested in touching any of the slimy seeds inside unless I gave him a spoon. We kept trying to get him to experience this messy fun, but he would just wipe his hands on his t-shirt and whine, "Daddy do it..." (If pumpkin guts are a problem, I'm wondering how this boy will ever "clean up" a deer in this love-to-hunt family of ours! I guess time will tell!!)

Below is a short video that Tim put together. (The soundtrack is a sound byte from a Jerry Seinfeld show that always made us laugh on college road trips -- ah, the memories!) Enjoy!


For those who can't view videos, here are a few photos...My parent's dog, Aruba, was quite interested in Matthew's new outfit!

Matt and Jack!

Ready to go!!

We definitely have some of the coolest neighbors in the world (no pun intended) - I mean, seriously, who else got a half gallon of ice cream, a box of ice cream dog treats (frosty paws), and 6 mini-tubs of play-doh all from the same house?!?! We are so grateful!! Hope you had a fun and safe time in all of your fall festivities as well!!


3 comments:

Burrs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Burrs said...

Hi cute cute... I'm your Dads cousin, he gave me your blog... Have your dad write to me my e-mail is pam_burr2000@yahoo.com ok.. Matthew is so cute... take care/

Burrs said...

Hi cute cute... I'm your Dads cousin, he gave me your blog... Have your dad write to me my e-mail is pam_burr2000@yahoo.com ok.. Matthew is so cute... take care/