Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ultrasound Pictures!

We have been blessed to have 3 ultrasounds of our little one. On March 18th, we were able to see the baby at a GA (gestational age) of 10 weeks. Even at this very young age, we could see 2 little arms waving and 2 little legs kicking! The heart rate was good, and the ultrasound technician commented that the baby is active.
Ok, so if I'm being totally honest I'd have to say that these pictures look a little alien-like, (but still loveable to a mother & father!). This was an ultrasound at GA 15 weeks, on April 23rd. (15 weeks is not a normal ultrasound time, but I had called my doctor with some questions. She is very thorough and wanted an ultrasound to check everything out.) This time there was more than waving and kicking going on as the ultrasound technician was litterally chasing that baby around my abdomen trying to get pictures and measurements. ...More comments about an active baby followed! Amazingly, she was able to tell the gender at this time. (We want to find out at the birth so she did not tell us.) They studied the heart, examining all four chambers. They also looked closely at the brain,the kidneys, and a bunch of other stuff, I'm sure! Then we had what will most likely be our final ultrasound on June 11th, GA 22 weeks. The above image is a 4D ultrasound picture showing the face with hands behind the head. Matthew went with us to this doctor visit. Referring to my stomach, he told the u/s technician, "There's a baby in there." Later she played the heartbeat out loud for all of us to hear. She asked Matthew, "What do you think that noise is?" Without hesitance, he confidently replied, "A choo-choo train!"
(6/11, GA 22 wks) It was so amazing to see the live images on the screen. More than just arms and legs moving, we could see the face clearly enough to see the baby opening and closing his/her mouth (most likely drinking in the amniotic fluid). The ultrasound technician kept "ooo-ing" and "ahhh-ing" over what a cute baby this is. Of course, she didn't need to convince us! There is just something about seeing that little face.... we are already smitten with this little one!

(6/11, GA 22 wks) This is a normal ultrasound image of the baby's profile - head and chest. Here again they were able to look at the heart and other organs carefully. They estimated that the baby's weight was already 1 lb. 4 oz!

(6/11, GA 22 wks) This one cracks me up... (again it's the regular type of ultrasound image) Being one of the last pictures they took for us, you can see the baby's hand up on the forehead as if to say, "Ok, ok enough of the paparazzi today!"

And last but not least... the "baby bump" is getting bigger! (5 fingers showing the end of the 5th month of pregnancy) Tim has been taking a profile shot of me at the end of each month and there is quite a difference between the 4 month photo and this one. I've always had trouble gaining weight, but am thanking God that it has not been a problem so far! I've gained about 16 lbs which is actually above what some books say by this time. I began feeling the baby's movements during the 16th week. Back then, it felt very "fluttery," and now (since about week 21 or 22) it definitely feels more like kicks and punches. How exciting! Overall, I'm feeling great so far too. We're really enjoying this blessing and we thank God for this precious little one daily. At this time there are no health concerns about baby or mom. We are SO excited! We praise God for the miracle of life!
May God knit this baby together in the way that will best glorify Him and may we ever grow in our trust and faith in Him no matter what He has in store for us. Thanks for all of your prayers for this precious little one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look fantastic! I think I see freckles in that ultrasound!

The Lehrs said...

I never thought of that, but you're right! Between Tim and I this kid doesn't have a chance of a freckle-free future!

Hilary Marquis said...

You are the cutest pregnant woman I've ever seen! Baby is absolutely precious :)

Renee said...

What a beautiful baby! And mommy is pretty cute, too!
I'm SO happy for you!